Stop The Madness – March Forward with a Plan

For Lawyers, Doctors, and Dentists

We are in the middle of March Madness.  The reason it is referred to as "Madness" is the unpredictable nature of selecting winners in a 64-team basketball tournament. Things don’t always happen the way you think they “should.”

Heavy favorites like Michigan State go down to teams most have never heard of (By the way, who are the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders, and where are they from?).

Similar to March Madness, many practices pick Internet marketing providers with the same confidence as winners in a bracket, only to find themselves picking another provider the following year and the year after that.

Probably the biggest mistake many small or medium business owners make is to equate search engine optimization to Internet marketing, and place all of their marketing success in the hands of Google and a handful of keyword phrases.  This is a very narrow view of internet marketing.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of practices never realize any substantive return in this scenario, yet they continually go through the same process of getting quotes from different website design and SEO providers.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

-Albert Einstein

It’s time to stop the madness!

Rather than simply request quotes, view sample websites and receive primarily template SEO proposals from different providers, it is time you take control of the process. 

The Primary Goal - Taking control starts with having a greater understanding of your primary goal.  The bottom-line objective for most practices is not to get a nicer looking website, or even to show up on the top of a specific Google search.  It’s to attract new business opportunities and generate leads. Don’t make the mistake of assuming you know the solution and start the process of retaining a MEANS, rather than taking real steps to your target END

If you start by asking for the cost of a website or SEO, you will be “sold” a website or SEO. The conversation needs to start with leads and new business.

Diversify Your Marketing - Another thing to keep in mind is that searching on Google accounts for less than 20 percent of the total time consumers spend on the Internet.  Thus, a large part of your Internet marketing attention must focus on the other 80 percent of online opportunities to get more targeted exposure and generate a higher volume of quality leads.

Establish Short, Intermediate and Long-term Strategies – No one marketing solution addresses all of your target marketing goals throughout the different stages of a campaign.  By diversifying your marketing efforts, you can 1) address your need to generate more immediate, direct-response leads, 2) give your website and marketing the necessary time to solidify market share, and 3) build your online community, brand, reputation and referrals.

Market Throughout The Prospect and Client Life Cycle – Generating quality exposure and converting it into more leads is only part of the marketing process.  Make sure your plan includes marketing that 1) moves prospective clients through the buying or decision-making process, 2) builds rapport and relationship after they become clients, and 3) stimulates long-term quality referrals.  

The most effective marketing combines components that have synergy, where your marketing whole (your new business!) is greater than the sum of its parts.  That means you need to develop multiple streams of diversified lead generation; not just focus on Google or SEO. 

We can’t fix your brackets, but we can help you stop the madness of a marketing revolving door, plan more effectively, and choose a long-term partner.  Email Us or call 303-233-3886 and let us help you develop your marketing game plan!

Category: